Sunday, November 6, 2011

China Visas

I stood in line at the Chinese Consulate in SF and got our visas with same day service. It was an intense experience going to pick them up as there was a large "Free Tibet"protest with blockade in from of the Consulate doors. I couldn't figure out how to get in or out and was guided by police. The maybe two hundred people all in black clad garb with Tibetan flags chanted, "Free Tibet, Free Tibet" over and over and the leader woman yelled over a loudspeaker. Her voice was so passionate and angry, it mad me cry and I could barely hold it together. Inside in line I met a delightful pair of young men going to Shanghai to teach English. We compared personal stories and empathy for the situation over the chanting.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you and this adventure! Like all adventures (esp. involving travel) it won't be perfect all the time. But it will work out and the end result will be worth it. Journey Mercies to you all - xxooxxoo

    ReplyDelete